Eligibility to Rent
Note: HDB terms "renting" the whole flat as "subletting" the whole flat
Check Citizenship of Landlord
Only Singapore Citizens are allowed to sublet the entire HDB flat to you.
Singapore Permanent Residents (SPRs) are not allowed to sublet their flat to you.
Check Landlord's Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) of 5 years
Landlord has to fulfill the 5 years MOP before he can sublet the whole flat to you.
Ask landlord for a printed confirmation letter from HDB of his eligibility to sublet the whole flat.
Non-Citizen Quota for Subletting of Flat
This quota is not applicable to you if you are Singaporean and Malaysian.
If you are a non-Malaysian non-citizen (Singapore Permanent Resident or foreigner), you have to check that this quota is not reached for you to rent a flat at the specified flat.
You may use HDB e-Service to check if you are eligible to rent a flat at the specified flat.
You as the subtenant must be any of the following:
- Singapore Citizens
- Singapore Permanent Residents
- Non-citizens legally residing in Singapore who are holders of Employment Passes, S Passes, Work Permits, Student Passes, Dependant Passes, or Long-Term Social Visit Passes. These passes must have a validity period of at least 6 months as at the date of your subletting application
- Work Permit holders from the construction, manufacturing, marine, and process sectors must be Malaysians
- Tourists are not allowed as subtenants of HDB flats
If you are renting the flat as a company to house your employees, your employees must also meet the above eligibility conditions.
Maximum number of subtenants
|Flat Type||Maximum Number of Subtenants|
1-room and 2-room
4-room and bigger
Minimum rental period is 6 months. Maximum rental period is 3 years for Singaporeans or Malaysians, and 2 years for non-Malaysian non-citizen.
Tenancy and property ownership status
You as subtenant must not be tenant or owner of other HDB flat unless you are:
- Divorced/ legally separated. In this case, only 1 party can be a subtenant
- Owners who are eligible to sublet your whole flat. However, you must sublet your own flat within a month after you have rented an HDB flat from another flat owner
You as subtenant must not be owner of Executive Condominium unit where the 5-year MOP has not been met.
Please call HDB Branch Office 1800 225 5432 if you need any clarifications
Consideration to Rent a Private Property
Private residential properties must be rented out for periods of at least three consecutive months. They may not be used for short-term rentals on a daily or weekly basis. In addition, property owners must meet the following conditions when renting out their properties.
Any internal partitioning works carried out on the property must not compromise the nature of the property as a single self-sufficient residential unit with essential features such as a living/dining area and kitchen.
With effect from 15 May 2017, the maximum number of unrelated occupants that may be accommodated in a property is six.
Please ensure the validity of your pass and/or document to stay in Singapore legally. Your landlord can check the validity from the various governing bodies.